Sunday 21 December 2014

Acorn Audio E1 in-depth review


Acorn Audio E1 review

**Disclaimer**
These earphones were provided to me by Acorn Audio to review on my YouTube channel. However I was not paid to do this review, therefore I can be impartial and unbiased.

Packaging



The E1 come in very simple but very nice packaging. The top shows the outer box which features the branding as well as an image of the earphones and model number. (Middle) shows a few of the specifications and Acorn Audios website. The bottom image is how the earphones are presented. They come inclosed in a foam block, which keeps them nice and secure during transit. 
Overall they are very well packaged and presented.

Design

The E1 are very simple and quite elegantly designed earphones. Featuring real wood and metal the earphones look very rustic but not in bad way. The styling is very simplistic and minimal, featuring just the Acorn branding on each bud and a simple left/right indicator on the underside of the bud. I actually prefer the more modest styling to the in your face styling of other manufacturers tend to adopt. 

The light wood and dark metal really create a nice colour balance and work very well together, actually better than I originally anticipated they would. Speaking of the wood it’s very nice, you can clearly distinguish the grain in the finish which in my opinion adds to the quality look of the earphones.
The cable is finished off in a plastic sheath, which looks fairly average to be honest and I would have preferred to see a braided or fabric cable sheath. This would have blended into the rustic feel more and really made the design come together.
Finally we go down the 3.5mm jack, this is gold plated and is very unusually shaped. It’s not quite a 90° angle but more curved. It’s nice to look at but is a little bit too long in my opinion.
Overall for the design they are very pleasing aesthetically and I really quite like how the earphones are styled.

Build

Like previously mentioned the real wood, plastic and metal are all good quality and add a certain premium feel to the relatively inexpensive earphones. The wood finish is nice and smooth with no rough edges, however they have managed to maintain the feel of the grain which is a very touch and it adds to quality feel. The metal feels sturdy and well integrated into the design but still manages to be light enough so as not to add much weight. 

The cable like mentioned is good quality; it feels durable and is reassuringly thick so as not to break easily and to provide adequate protection to the internal wiring. Like I mentioned early, the addition of braiding would have further improved the quality but could have possibly led to more memory in the cable which in turn causes the dreaded tangle. The 3.5mm jack is well made and feels robust enough to handle everyday use. It’s not the most solid I’ve encountered at this price but it’s substantial.

I just wish it would have been a bit smaller to make getting them out of tighter jeans a bit easier, but it’s still solid never the less.   
So to sum up the build quality is very impressive.

Comfort

Usually I’m not a huge fan of in-ears, I’m more of an on-ear or over-ear design user and I’m actually surprised to how comfortable they are. The supplied silicone tips (in which you get S,M,L) are very soft, very flexible and fit very nicely.

Small
Large
I personally use the small tips provided as they provide the best seal for me. To add to the comfort factor is the earphones minute 80g weight, so you get none of the horrible ear pull you get from heavier earphones.
So you can tell I am generally pleased with the level of comfort achieved by the E1.

Features and Specs

The E1 aren’t the most featured packed of earphones, but then again with their relatively low cost you wouldn’t expect all the bells and whistles.
The features include a pretty standard 1.2m cable length which is common and just about the perfect length in my opinion. The earphones have a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz which again is standard amongst earphones at this price. Other features include….
an 89dB sensitivity, 16 Ohm impedance and a weight of just 80g.
However they are missing a few fairly import basic features. The E1 don’t have a controller for iOS which can be found on most basic and cheaper earphones. However as an Android user the omission too much missed but it would have been nice to at least have a one push button and mic for calls. The E1 are also missing a simple cable management system that is used to shorten the distance of the split and keep things from tangling. This is the bigger oversight and is more noticeable as this feature would barely add any additional cost to the manufacturing , but yet provide a much better experience and value for money.


Isolation and Leak

Now the E1 aren’t noise cancelling and they make no claim to it. However I was surprised to how much noise they blocked out. Now I will say that they aren’t the best I’ve ever encountered but they are up there with the best (at the price). They block out most medium traffic noise with ease and only allow the noise to creep in when background noise gets louder. This though is not an issue when on public transport and they managed to block the dull drone of the buses engine and the louder passengers. That’s not saying that louder noises won’t slightly sneak in, in quieter parts of music but overall I am impressed. 
As for noise leak, they again fair well. I found for me comfortable listen volume was around 50% to 60% on my Nexus 5 with the aftermarket Rocket music player. At these volume levels the leak was minimal and won’t bother other commuters. However push beyond the 60% region and as with most earphones leak become more prominent but again nothing too loud as to disturb other commuters, well unless they’re sat right next to you.
In summary the noise leak and isolation performance was above average for the cost and I was impressed.

Sound

This to me is the most important part of buying any audio equipment and thus needs to be impressive. To explain my finding I will break the sound down into the Bass, Mid range and Higher range.
Tested via Nexus 5 with the Rocket player with a Flat eq.
Bass – The bass produced is quite powerful, if a little too powerful for my personal taste. The bass response is a bit on the loose side where as I prefer the response to be tighter and more controlled. The bass does drop really low, which makes them perfect for bass lovers and people who enjoy hip-hop, DNB and Dusbstep, you know all those genres that just loves to kick out the heavy bassline. The bass also tends to be a little cloudy and missing some detail that can be found in other similar earphones.
Mids – The mid-range was a little bit lost behind the bass and was too easily overpowered, me personally I like a more balanced sound like the Audio Technica M20x where you can hear everything equal. Back to the E1 and another issue I noticed is the instruments like acoustic guitars and pianos sounded a little lacklustre and didn’t invoke any emotion in their sound. This to me is an issue as I really love it when instruments are given a chance to shine and not overcast by the overbearing bass. Now to the vocals and again things aren’t that great, vocal reproduction was a bit wooden and lifeless and just lacked excitement.  It was clear but just came off a bit cold.
Highs – The highs are actually fairly nice, they are nice and smooth if a little on the quiet side. They aren’t sharp and are nicely rounded if a bit hard to distinguish from the mids and bass. When you can hear them they aren’t the usual brittle affair found on some other earphones at the same price, which is a good thing.
From the experience I would these earphones would be best suited to EDM, Hip-Hop style music that uses bass to enhance the listening experience, rather than hinder it.  But overall for me they are a good sound but just too bass heavy for my personal taste. So then I thought, what if I turn the bass down and then try them again. So I did.
Bass (down) – Obviously the level of bass reduces to a more comfortable level and even though the bass was off they are still bass biased earphones. However turning the bass off made the mid-range and vocals clearer which is how I prefer my earphones to sound and in my opinion improved the listening experience. The bass was still present but to a more acceptable level and I actually found myself enjoying the earphones a lot more and I now like how they sound. It’s amazing to think that be just turning the bass down can completely change the sound. I mean a lot of detail missing in the mids was more present and vocals sounded better too. So really, I now like the E1’s sound.

Summary

To wrap up the review in a nice bow, I love the styling and the rustic design of the E1. The build quality is great, they are lightweight and feel more premium than the price suggests. The sound was much improved after I turned the bass down. The few downsides though are the missing features and sound (at first) but overall I like the E1 and I can say if you’re looking for some earphones that are different from the usual plastic affair then these are well worth a look.

Check out my YouTube review of them for an even clearer look at them Acorn Audio E1 review

No comments:

Post a Comment